It’s meant to be the most important meal of the day yet for most of us it’s the one that gets the least effort. Shake things up and start the day right with one of these delicious – and nutritious – breakfast ideas.
PINK LADY, CHIA, PECAN AND HAZELNUT RAW BREAKFAST BAR
Looking for a DIY snack bar that will give you an energy boost? This raw bar combines the goodness of oats, dates, nuts, honey, coconut oil and Pink Lady® apples for a delicious and nutritious breakfast or snack.
- 100g jumbo oats
- 100g pitted dates
- 100g pecans – leave 40g for the topping
- 100g hazelnuts – leave 40g for the topping
- 2 Pink Lady® apples grated and squeezed of excess juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Measure the jumbo oats into a mixing bowl.
- Either finely chop the 60g of pecans and 60g of hazelnuts by hand or pulse in an electric blender until roughly chopped. Add to the jumbo oats. Do the same with the pitted dates until finely chopped.
- Add the grated apples, chia seeds, melted coconut oil and honey and mix until all is coated.
- Press the mix firmly into a lined tin and sprinkle with the remaining chopped hazelnut and pecans.
- Leave to set in the fridge for an hour.
- Cut to desired shape and size.
DAIRY-FREE QUINOA PORRIDGE WITH GOJI BERRIES AND BLACKBERRIES
This quick and easy breakfast is perfect for when you’re busy but need to get a nutritious breakfast in, couldn’t be simpler!
- 1 x 250g pouch Merchant Gourmet Simply Cooked Quinoa Red & White
- 400ml almond milk
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g blackberries
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, to serve
1. Combine all the ingredients (except the pistachios ) in a saucepan and stir
2. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil for approximately 8/10 minutes.
3. Divide the porridge between 4 bowls and serve sprinkled with the chopped pistachios
HIGH PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
This recipe uses avocados, which are incredibly high in protein – add them to a couple of handfuls of Lizi’s High Protein Granola and you’ve got a drink that looks delicious, tastes delicious and leaves you feeling fabulous from the inside out!
- Two handfuls of Lizi’s High Protein Granola
- A ripe avocado
- 6cm chunk of cucumber
- A handful baby spinach
- 2 tbsps Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp runny honey
- A few glugs of cloudy apple juice
- Put the granola into a blender and give it a good blitz until it’s become a powder.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If it’s too thick for your taste, add a splosh or two more of apple juice.
- Serve in your funkiest glass or on-the-go cup and enjoy!
BROWNIE OVERNIGHT OATS
A healthy chocolatey treat to get the day off to a sweet start.
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- 375ml Califia Farms Chocolate Coconut Almondmilk
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 3 tsp chocolate chips
- 2.5ml vanilla extra
- ½ tsp salt
- Optional Toppings: raspberries, whipped cream, chocolate chips
- In a mason jar or cup of your choice, place in your oats.
- Next add in your almond milk. Add caca powder, chocolate chips, vanilla extra and salt.
- Mix well. Place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, eat as is or warm up with your desired toppings!