There’s nothing that sets you up for a cold winter’s day quite like a warm bowl of porridge. The hearty nature and heat provided by a big bowl of oats screams childhood nostalgia for many. Not only is it delicious but it keeps embarrassing stomach growling incidents at bay right through to noon (at least).
Food trends over the last few years have seen porridge evolve into so much more than just a hot bowl of joy. Nowadays, porridge-lovers who find themselves short on time in the mornings have learned to compromise with the surprisingly diverse nature of overnight oats. Those championing the most impressive of organisational skills turn to a Sunday baking session, incorporating oats into breakfast muffin recipes that they can grab and go throughout the week. Others who take their time to enjoy their oats save them for a weekend indulgence, taking time to heat milk to the perfect temperature and investing their time in finding the perfect combination of toppings.
When Flahavan’s recently released recipes landed on our desk, mouths instantly began watering. Given their credibility of over 200 years spent milling oats and their dedication to perfecting their craft, we knew we were in for a treat. They’ve familiarised themselves with the evolving needs of their customers and developed their products accordingly. There’s a the granola recipe for those that fancy mixing up their oats repertoire a little. There’s also the lemon meringue porridge that clearly, has been sent straight from heaven. These Flahavan’s porridge recipes are sure to keep energy up, bellies full and taste buds satisfied all winter long.
Banana, Blueberry and Oat Breakfast Muffins
Prep time: 50 Minutes
230g wholemeal flour
90g Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats, plus an extra tbsp. to decorate
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
180g coconut sugar, plus an extra tbsp. to decorate
2 small eggs, whisked
120ml vegetable oil
2 bananas, mashed
130g frozen blueberries
12 muffin cases
- Pre-heat the oven to 180∞C then line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
- Stir together the flour, Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut sugar together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs with the vegetable oil and mashed banana.
- Gradually fold the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until just combined, then fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, sprinkling the top of each muffin with a few extra porridge oats and a little extra coconut sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Lemon Meringue Porridge
Prep time: 15 mins
100g Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats
1 tsp vanilla essence
30g broken meringues
2 tbsp. lemon curd
Sliced lemon and zest, to serve
- Combine the Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats, vanilla essence and milk in a saucepan.
- Warm over a low heat, stirring regularly until thickened.
- Spoon the porridge into two bowls, swirl in the lemon curd and top with broken meringue pieces. Finish each bowl with a slice of lemon and a sprinkle of lemon zest.
Apple Crumble Porridge
Prep time: 15 mins
200g eating apples, peeled and chopped
2 pinches of cinnamon
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. maple syrup (plus extra to serve)
100g Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats
A handful of blackberries (you can use fresh or frozen)
20g almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
1 shortbread finger, crumbled into smaller pieces
- Place the apples, cinnamon and water into a small sauce pan over a medium heat.
- Once the apples are starting to cook, place the lid on and continue cooking until they are soft and broken down, then stir in the tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Whilst the apples are stewing, place the Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats and milk into a separate pan over a low heat, stirring regularly until thickened.
- Spoon the porridge into 2 bowls and top with the stewed apples, blackberries, almonds and shortbread. Drizzle with a little extra maple syrup to serve.